7E Communications >
Glossary > Glossary Terms Beginning
Glossary Terms Beginning R
0-9 : A
: B : C
: D : E
: F : G
: H : I
: J : K
: L : M
N : O
: P : Q
: R : S
: T : U
: V : W
: X : Y
- Rain climatic zone
- See precipitation zone.
- Rain outage
- Loss of signal due to absorption and increased sky-noise temperature caused
by heavy rainfall.
- Residual current device: a device that measures the difference in current
flowing between the supply wires; if a difference exists then a fault is assumed
and the supply is rapidly disconnected.
- Rx: device which enables a particular satellite signal to be separated from
all others being received by an earth station, and converts the received signal
into video and audio.
- Protection against failure of either a part or the whole of the system that
would thus make the entire system inoperable. In an SNG uplink that is redundant,
there are two transmitters and two modulators.
- Sharpness of the picture.
- The action of a satellite system operator to sustain defined service level
in the event of satellite failure or anomaly.
- Return audio; reverse audio
- See Cleanfeed.
- RF; RF bandwidth
- Radio frequency: refers to radio transmissions or relating to that part of
the electromagnetic spectrum used for radio transmissions.
- RJ-11; RJ-45
- Standard types of telephone line connector.
- Common serial data interface.
- Nineteen-inch rack-height unit; See U.
- Receive; receiver.